Thursday, May 23, 2013

re-purposed...


Have you ever cleared your closet and thought...there must be another use for this?  Well, that seemed to happen to me the other day.  I have been working hard on this healthy journey of mine and shedding the extra weight.  Every few weeks I take a trip through my closet to find items that are too big, unflattering and just plain "ick!".  I have donated over half of my clothes thus far after only four months and I keep enjoying the task.  I am not a clothes person anyway so my closet is a little bare, but I am determined to not fill it until I reach my goal.  So as I began to toss this out, it led me to think re-purpose.


This aqua jersey t-shirt was going to be turned into something useful and pretty...and I knew just the way to do that.  Have you ever seen these?

photo
or, do you remember this look?

photo

Check out the headband.  Gotta give it up for Olivia Newton-John (thanks for the correction...I have Jane Fonda on my mind from a workout video) and her 80's look.  Don't you love the legwarmers?  With workouts day in and day out here I thought why not create my own.


I just ripped three strands (approximately 2.5" in width each) from the t-shirt.  Stitched together one end and began to braid.  When the length is right, stitch two ends together to create headband.  Added the felt flower to cover the stitched ends.  Here is a great DIY photo.

photo

And, how about that card to match...



I hand cut strips of paper with similar color and adhered it to the card.  Added stitching, Color Shine drops and number stickers.  The label is from My Mind's Eye which I backed with white cardstock and cut out.  Added ribbon and die cut shapes with a stick pin.

Supplies: CARD - American Crafts (paper, cardstock), Heidi Swapp (Color Shine), Pebbles (sticker), My Mind's Eye (paper, sticker), Papertrey Ink (button, die), Pink Paislee (paper), Prairie Bird Boutique (ribbon), Therm O Web (adhesive), stick pin, thread, needle. HEADBAND - t-shirt, felt, sewing machine, glue gun.

Do you have anything you would like to re-purpose?   This project took minutes and I have to say there is something fun about tearing fabric!  

Happy Thursday and see you back here tomorrow for something new I am sure...

Andrea 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great idea. The card is perfect, too!
    PS--That's Olivia Newton-John, not Jane Fonda. Olivia stole ALL Jane's good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! The colors you always use make me happy, great work as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww super creative idea. I love all your creation. I can just be on ur blog all day. Thanks for inspiring

    ReplyDelete