Tuesday, May 28, 2013

with her in mind...


There has been a bag of material sitting in my craft space for the past month just waiting for me to begin work on a baby quilt for one of my closest friends.  With the baby shower only a few weeks away, I was able to sneak a few minutes in last night to begin making the cuts.  Oh how I love these colors...


To get me ready to quilt, sew and embroider, I wanted to create a little project for my day #16 using some of the left over pieces of fabric.

Supplies: CARD - American Crafts (cardstock, adhesive), My Mind's Eye (paper), Prairie Bird Boutique (ribbon), Papertrey Ink (stamp, ink, buttons), Studio Calico (wood embellishment), burlap, fabric, cardstock, cotton batting, sewing machine and adhesive pearls. PINCUSHION - fabric, cotton batting, sewing machine, button maker, doily, Fiskars (rotary cutter), stick pins, glass beads, poly fill, needle and thread.

Have you ever tried to create a quilted fabric card?  Easy to do and love the look.  Simply cut your cardstock for the card and fold in half.  Cut a piece of cardstock to cover the front of the card.  Cut a layer of batting (used cotton blanket batting x 2) and fabric piece larger than cardstock front.  Stitch layers together (cardstock, batting, fabric) and trim edges when complete.  I use my Fiskars rotary cutter and rulers to get the clean edges and shapes...amazing tools!  Adhere to front of card.  Use craft glue, Zots or even adhesive runner to add embellishments to the front. Created the fabric flower for the card and pincushion using the same fabrics.


Cut, stitched and quilted the pincushion above as well using a bit of each fabric.  Topped it off with a handmade doily and fabric button, along with pom-pom and glass bead stick pins for something fun.  Now time to get started on the quilt.  Will share the process as I go along and as the planning of the baby shower continues.

Do you have a rotary cutter?  Have you ever tried quilting?  I find it best to start with something small and work my way up in size.  Still learning, but it is all about building confidence in your ability.  You can do anything!

Andrea

6 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful~ Thank you for always being so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable Andrea, sweet fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing projects! thanks for the inspiration, Andrea! I have to try quilting as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Love these Andrea!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creations are always gorgeous but this is particularly wonderful. I just recieved a group of fat quarters and have been waiting for the time to jump in. Maybe I will quilt along with you;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow...so very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete